Finally, after having this in my garage or two years, I figured out what I wanted to do with it (helps that we are homeschooling this year and our boy needed a desk) and I did it.
Here’s the final product….
First, I sanded it down; all of it, the wood and metal parts.
Then spray painted the top surface with chalkboard paint. I actually had purchased a can of “paint on” chalkboard paint but ended up using the spray paint after the last project I did with my sister. I wasn’t sure how the spray paint would do on the wood surface but it was pretty good.
Next step…cover up all the surfaces that I didn’t want sprayed red….You can see here how I used newspaper and Frog tape to cover up all my non-red surfaces. I didn’t take too many pictures of the process.
And I sprayed it red. I used Valspar spray paint +primer (combined in one product) from Lowes. I’ve tried all the different spray paints and Valspar is my favorite by far.
After removing the paper and the Frog tape, I stained the wood seat and sealed it.
Then I chalked up the top surface by rubbing chalk all over the top then spraying it down with water and wiping it off.
I’ll have to take a picture of our little school area (it is pretty much setup just need to clean up a few messes around it. My son is super excited about his new desk and homeschooling. We will write him a sweet note for his first day of school.